Wednesday, May 20, 2015

.:Color Pop:.

//Sweater:  Target (old; love this) // Tee:  Victoria's Secret // Denim:  Gap // Heels:  Nordstrom //

To me, fashion is what is offered to us four times a year.  Style is how we make it ours/what we do with it.  Now, I firmly believe that good style is the combination of high and low end.  Here's my philosophy on it:

.:The High End:.
All of your items do not have to be expensive to make a quality outfit.  In fact, I don't think they should be at all.  I do think that one should invest in a few high end items that will last the test of time and to help take outfits to the next level.  For me, my investments typically are in my shoes and handbags.  These pieces are so flexible in that they can be worn more often and applied to more outfits with greater ease than say a sweater or shirt can.  I really love to add one investment piece to every outfit in order to make the whole outfit appear better quality as a whole. In this case, my handbag and brooch help to elevate this otherwise very affordable outfit to a new standard.  However, investment piece DOES NOT mean that it has to be a handbag that costs thousands! An investment piece can be any item that screams quality.  For example, a leather solid colored, basic tote in cognac or black, like those from J.Crew, Madewell, or Banana are excellent examples of a terrific investment handbag that adds some "expensive feeling" to an outfit.

.:The Low End:.
I believe that your low end pieces should also reflect quality.  By that I mean, look for well constructed fabrics.  These can be found at every price point.  This outfit is made up of a Target sweater and Gap denim.  Neither of which is by any means designer.  However, that does not mean that they are not valuable.  My trick to finding good affordable pieces is to look at the fabric.  I try to find thick knits, pants with a good solid wash, and shirts that have a good fit.  The bottom line is that when something is made of good looking fabric AND it fits you well (a tailor is an excellent resource to help with this), you've got a style home run. My favorite places to find hidden gems are Old Navy (watch fabric here…I try to avoid sheer, thin fabrics and look for ones that look a little more well constructed), Forever 21 (you're going to have to do a little digging, but I promise it's worth it), Kohls (I love the Vera Wang label…and there's always a sale), and the good old Tar-jay (Target) for those essentials like basic tees and tanks.

Remember, next time your styling your outfit, it does not all have to be designer to be a stunning look.  In just adding one "investment (whether $100 or $1000) piece" to an outfit will really heighten your look!

Hope this added some mid-week inspiration!

Xoxo,
A



No comments:

Post a Comment